New!  Take advantage of our convenient payment plan

P.O. Box 67, 100 Kingwood Stockton Road
Rosemont, NJ  08556
(609) 488-6959

The Rosemont Cemetery - Est. 1729

Your Subtitle text

Follow the scenic roads of Hunterdon County and you will discover the pastoral beauty of The Rosemont Cemetery.  Twelve peaceful acres with views of working farmland and surrounding woods have become a sanctuary for family members and friends of those resting within our walls.

The Rosemont Cemetery is an historic, but fully operational cemetery.  The cemetery is non-denominational and accepts people of all faiths.

The village of Rosemont was settled in 1719 when William Rittenhouse of Philadelphia purchased a large tract of land in the area.  The Rosemont Cemetery was established just ten years later in 1729.  The cemetery has always been independent and is not tied to any of the area churches.

Today the village of Rosemont consists of a small collection of 18th and 19th century buildings and has recently been granted designation as an Historic District.

The most notable resident of our cemetery is Captain (later General) Daniel Bray (b. 1751, d. 1819).  A resident of nearby Kingwood Township, and a farmer by trade, Captain Bray was a member of General George Washington's staff during the Revolutionary War.  Captain Bray, along with other members of the Hunterdon County Militia under his command, played a vital role in the critical battle of Trenton.

In December, 1776, General Washington decided to cross the Delaware River to attack the Hessian Troops stationed in Trenton.  Captain Bray was assigned to collect all of the boats from the Upper Delaware River needed for the crossing.  Under Captain Bray's leadership, 25 boats were secured and brought down through the treacherous wintery waters of the Delaware.

The boats were used by General Washington and his army to cross the river on Christmas night.  After the crossing, they marched to Trenton and captured the Hessians, reversing the course of the war.

The Rosemont Cemetery is also the resting place of U.S. Congressman John Runk (b. 1791, d. 1872).  Elected to represent New Jersey in the United States House of Representatives, Congressman Runk served from 1845 to 1847.

Website Builder